Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Morning Star promises us that Day is at hand!


And I will give him the Morning Star. — Revelation 2:28

by C.H. Spurgeon

Until the day break and the shadows flee away, what a blessing it is to see in Jesus "the Morning Star!" Once our newspapers reported the idle tale that the star of Bethlehem had again appeared. On inquiry we found that it was only "the morning star"; but no great mistake had been made after all.

It is best to see Jesus as the sun; but when we cannot do so, the next best thing is to see Him as that star which prophesies the day and shows that the eternal light is near at hand. If I am not today all that I hope to be, yet I see Jesus, and that assures me that I shall one day be like Him. A sight of Jesus by faith is the pledge of beholding Him in His glory and being transformed into His image. If I have not at this hour all the light and joy I could desire, yet I shall have it; for as surely as I see the morning star I shall see the day. The morning star is never far from the sun.

Come, my soul, has the LORD given thee the morning star? Dost thou hold fast that truth, grace, hope, and love which the LORD has given thee? Then in this thou hast the dawn of coming glory. He that makes thee overcome evil, and persevere in righteousness, has therein given thee the morning star.

Selah.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I have your permission to share a favorite prayer? I lack the author, but tis a blessing nonetheless.

Loy said...

Absolutely. Please do!

Anonymous said...

It was the pen of Thomas Ken!

You shared the Hymn 'Awake my soul, and with the Sun' (10-26-13) That was the prayer that blesses me so.

I will share another Hymn of personal prayer:

He's always there when things go wrong;
He's always there when hope is gone;
He lifts me up, when I'm in prayer.
He's never far when I'm alone,
He's always there.

He's up in the mountain,
He's down by the sea,
He fills all Heaven, and He lives in me.
He lifts me up, when I'm in prayer.
He's never far when I'm alone,
He's always there!

Loy said...

I love this hymn! What tune is it to?

The truth behind the line, “He fills all Heaven, and He lives in me” is so amazing. That the Lord of Creation who fills the universe might live in creatures such as us, in the power of the Spirit – wow. As Solomon prayed, “Will God indeed dwell with men on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain you; how much less this house which I have built!” And yet that is the truth to which God leads us, that by grace through faith, by the work of Christ, He deigns to quicken us, to make us alive in spirit, and place His Spirit in us. The infinite spaciousness of heaven filling us, we are never completely hemmed in by circumstance. The Holy One making His dwelling in us, we are never truly alone – yea, though trekking the most abandoned wilderness!

(The text for Sunday is John 14:1-14, so I’ve been thinking of these things. :-)) Jesus says, “I AM the Way…” And Catherine of Sienna comments: “All the way to heaven must be heaven, if Jesus is the Way!” Truly a paradox of faith: That alone, we are not alone. That bound by stuff, yet we are not bound. We are in the Way, and the Way is in us! So we journey, yes, but we are “lifted up” along the way – in prayer, something happens. The inward reality overtakes our outward trial.

btw, I love that prayer hymn by Thomas Ken, “Awake, My Soul, and with the Sun.” “Lord, I my vows to thee renew; disperse my sins as morning dew” – this is the basis then for ultimate doxology: Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost! Forgiven, empowered, we praise. Alleluia!

Good stuff, and thanks for commenting. Please feel free to add any theological or devotional or personal thought here – quality, truly.

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to find the sweet praise chorus. A grand crescendo begins 'He lifts me up, when I'm in prayer'- I haven't. Heard it sung since i was a small child in a small church in Kentucky, but it was the first of a long line of favorite hymns. I am a steady reader of your blog- you cover precious and tender subjects- bless you for your blessings. I will add if It's laid upon my heart, and with your permission. Bless your radiant praise.

Loy Mershimer said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, your blessing. It means a lot! Thank you.

And this song is a mystery, lol. I've looked high and low for it, on YouTube and iTunes. Nope. Must be a rare song. If you happen to find a recording of it, please let me know!