Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Bright is my future in your love

God of my life, to you I call

Words: William Cowper (1731-1800)
Tune: Llandaf (Meter: LM)


God of my life, to you I call;
afflicted, at your feet I fall;
when the great water-floods prevail,
leave not my trembling heart to fail.

Friend of the friendless and the faint,
where should I lodge my deep complaint?
Where, but with you, whose open door
invites the helpless and the poor?

Did sufferers ever with you plead
and you refuse them in their need?
Does not your promised word remain,
that none shall seek your face in vain?

Grief such as that I could not bear,
unless you heard and answered prayer;
but a prayer-hearing, answering God
supports me under every load.

Bright is my future in your love;
I have an advocate above:
those whom the world admires the most
have no such privilege to boast.

Poor and forgotten I am, yet
the living God does not forget:
all those are safe, and must succeed
for whom Christ promises to plead.

Selah.

No comments: