Saturday, May 07, 2011

My soul breathes only in thy infinite soul

Trust Him like the little ones He feeds

Thy fishes breathe but where thy waters roll;
Thy birds fly but within thy airy sea;
My soul breathes only in thy infinite soul;
I breathe, I think, I love, I live but thee.
Oh breathe, oh think, -- O Love, live into me;
Unworthy is my life till all divine,
Till thou see in me only what is thine.


Selah.

These verses by George MacDonald remind me of Kierkegaard's definition of despair. Kierkegaard defines despair as the inability to transparently rest in the Power that created us [and destines us for good]. Conversely, hope is the ability to transparently rest in the Power that created us. This is a secret of peace and divinely productive life.

It also reminded me of a Keith Green song, "Pledge My Head to Heaven":

Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the gospel,
And I ask no man on earth to fill my needs.
Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in His love,
And I trust Him like those little ones He feeds.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever,
I'm your child, and I'm gonna follow you, no matter --
Whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost...
Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the gospel.

To trust Him like the little birds He feeds... to transparently rest in the power that created us -- and thus, in those little moments of obedience, we somehow swim in the vast ocean of love, living and breathing divine will!

Isn't that a truly a condensed reality of heaven in human time? Eternity in the heart, which is ours to share...

Selah.

Reference:
George MacDonald, "January," A Book of Strife in the Form of the Diary of an Old Soul, stanza 5.

No comments: