A friend just sent me this forward, which I was stupid enough to read just before popping the top of a chilled Diet Coke. Needless to say, it ruined the drink for me...I had to pour it down the sink!
But, let me pass along the warning for your benefit [er, enjoyment, lol]:
This incident happened recently in North Texas. We need to be even more careful everywhere. A woman went boating one Sunday, taking with her some cans of coke which she put in the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken into Intensive Care Unit and on Wednesday she died.
The autopsy revealed a certain Leptospirose caused by the can of coke from which she had drunk, not using a glass. A test showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.
Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to wash thoroughly the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them as they have been stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.
A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets, i.e. full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.
And, darn it, it just cost me an ice cold can of Diet Coke, which I poured down the drain after visions of Leptospirose danced in my head, lol! Seriously, I was so freaked that I couldn't bring myself to touch my lips to the can...
That last line made me think, so I did a quick Snopes on it. It turns out that this is an urban legend. It didn't really happen. Coke tops are not the most germy things in the world, 'worse than public toilets,' lol! But, we should still probably be careful with our drinking habits! Don't drink after people who send you Leptospirose forwards. :-)
So score one for the urban legends: Urban Legends 1, Loy 0
Now, back to another Diet Coke...