Thursday, October 06, 2005

The angel of the Lord

All will be well

I’ve been thinking recently of the goodness of God, His providence and incredible care. Even amid storms and disasters around the world, and challenging prayers in my world, I still must confess His utter goodness…His loving sovereignty and holy grace.

Several words have touched me in the last few days: a song, a verse, a poem and prose. I’ll share them here in reverse order:

Surrender


The prose is by Eberhard Arnold, in a meditation entitled, “Surrender.
Difficulties should not depress or divert us. The cause that has gripped us is so great that the small weaknesses of individuals cannot destroy it. Therefore I ask you only one thing: do not be so worried about yourself. Free yourself from all your plans and aims. They occupy you far too much. Surrender yourself to the sun, the rain, and the wind, as do the flowers and the birds. Surrender yourself to God. Wish for nothing but one thing: that His will be done, that His kingdom come, and that His nature be revealed. Then all will be well.

“That His nature be revealed…” -- here is the key to the kingdom!

The comfortable word


The poem is by Amy Carmichael, from her little book, Toward Jerusalem.
Lover of souls, Thee have I heard,
Thee will I sing, for sing I must;
Thy good and comfortable word
Hath raised my spirit from the dust.

In dusty ways my feet had strayed,
And foolish fears laid hold on me,
Until what time I was afraid,
I suddenly remembered Thee.

Remembering Thee, I straight forgot
What otherwise had troubled me;
It was as if it all were not;
I only was aware of Thee.

Of thee, of Thee alone, aware,
I rested me, I held me still;
The blessed thought of Thee, most Fair,
Dispelled the brooding sense of ill.

The quietness around me fell,
And Thou didst speak, my spirit heard.
I worshiped and rejoiced, for well
I knew Thy comfortable word.

Whoso hath known that comforting,
The inward touch that maketh whole,
How can he ever choose but sing
To Thee, O Lover of his soul?

The angel of His presence


The verse is from Isaiah 63:7ff.
I will sing of the lovingkindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which He hath bestowed on them according to His mercies, and according to the multitude of His lovingkindnesses.

For He said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so He was their Saviour.

In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them: in His love and in His pity He redeemed them; and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old!

The angel of the Lord is around me


The song is called “Angel of the Lord,” by Hillsong. It is a powerful musical interpretation of Psalm 23, 91 and 118, with overtures to the Magnificat, Ephesians 6 and 2 Timothy 1:7.
The Lord’s my Shepherd, I have everything I need.
Mercy and love follow me.
Though I walk through the dark valley of death, I will
Not be afraid for He’s here.

The Lord’s my refuge, no evil can come near me,
Dwelling in His secret place.
I put my trust in Him, He is my shield, I will
Let His peace rule in my heart.

Surely, the Angel of the Lord is around me.
I have no cause to fear, my God will not forsake me.
I am my Father's child, no enemy can touch me.
I will not die but live, to tell what He has done.

He has ransomed me, He gave me all authority,
Power, love and a sound mind.
Strong in the Lord and the power of His might, I will
Put on His armor and stand.

Surely, the Angel of the Lord is around me.
I have no cause to fear, my God will not forsake me.
I am my Father's child, no enemy can touch me.
I will not die but live, to tell what He has done.

Peace to you! Do not fear -- all will be well.

Alleluia!


No comments: