Monday, October 10, 2005

The heavenly warrior



The immortal Lamb

HYMN: 'Twas by Thy Blood, Immortal Lamb
Words: Isaac Watts, 1709
Tune: Breslau


'Twas by Thy blood, immortal Lamb,
Thine armies trod the tempter down;
'Twas by Thy word and powerful Name
They gained the battle and renown.

Rejoice, ye heavens! let every star
Shine with new glories round the sky;
Saints, while ye sing the heavenly war,
Raise your Deliverer's Name on high!

The day of vengence and redemption

Isaiah 63:1-4

Who is this coming from Edom,
from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson?
Who is this, robed in splendor,
striding forward in the greatness of his strength?
It is I, speaking in righteousness,
mighty to save.

Why are your garments red,
like those of one treading the winepress?
I have trodden the winepress alone;
from the nations no one was with me.

I trampled them in my anger
and trod them down in my wrath;
their blood spattered my garments,
and I stained all my clothing."

For the day of vengeance was in my heart,
and the year of my redemption has come!

Gird your sword, mighty warrior
Psalm 45:3-6

Gird your sword upon your side, O mighty one;
Clothe yourself with splendor and majesty.
In your majesty ride forth victoriously
In behalf of truth, humility and righteousness;
Let your right hand display awesome deeds.
Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies;
Let the nations fall beneath your feet.

Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever;
A scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom!

Alleluia!


No comments: