Saturday, November 19, 2005

Like the murmur of the dove's song

Psalm 62

Who is the defender of our cause? It is the Lord, the Most High God.
The King, the King’s Son, and the Spirit of the King: Blessed be God forever!


And so we wait, in silence, for Him who brings salvation. He is our Rock and stronghold.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;
from Him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold,
so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
all of you together,
as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
from my place of honor;
lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,
but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;
truly, my hope is in Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold,
so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honor;
God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in Him always,
O people, pour out your hearts before Him,
for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,
even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,
all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
in robbery take no empty pride;
though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,
that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,
for you repay everyone according to his deeds!


The Dove, the King and the King’s Son


In Scripture, the Holy Spirit is linked with the dove: Three symbols, fire, wind and dove, show forth the Holy Spirit in revelation. And why these three symbols? Three aspects of the revealed Holy God: Purity, power and love.

Herein is the presence of God made known.

This is why Scripture also links the dove with true love. Only in the presence of the True God, is true love. Divinity transcends the human states of selfishness, to unity. Purity of heart is to will one thing; purity of love is the unity of one thing: The descended dove which forms two hearts as one, not for each other, but to each other, for the King.

Like the murmur of the dove’s song

Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr.
Tune: Bridegroom

Like the murmur of the dove's song,
Like the challenge of her flight,
Like the vigor of the wind's rush,
Like the new flame's eager might:
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

To the members of Christ's Body,
To the branches of the Vine,
To the Church in faith assembled,
To her midst as gift and sign:
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

With the healing of division,
With the ceaseless voice of prayer,
With the power of love and witness,
With the peace beyond compare:
Come, Holy Spirit, come.


Come, Holy Spirit, come: With this Thanksgiving feast, high King of Heaven, Christ our King, prepare us for your Advent here.

Alleluia!

Amen.

2 comments:

Roger said...

Loy,
I love Psalms 62. I'm glad you included it here. One thing that always catches my eye is the way it mingles the idea of waiting on God (our defense and our refuge) and the element of trust. They are inseparable.

Loy Mershimer said...

Roger,

I totally agree with you. Waiting and trust are inseparable. Now, this may be a painful truth...but it is a reality linked to the character of God over against the character of the world.

Thus, though it may be painful at times, it is releasing -- it brings us into freedom, the freedom of the person of God. As Christ said [in reference to himself as truth]: "And you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free."

That's the kind of freedom I'm interested in...

Even if sometimes I must wait in the process! :-)

Loy