Sunday, May 06, 2007

Thoughts between daughter and Father VI



A silent song


Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
Deep calls to deep…
By day the Lord directs His love, at night His song is with me – a prayer to the God of my life!

Psalm 42:5, 7-8


The daughter greatly wished to make a “Song of Lovely Things,” to sing to her Beloved – but she could not find the singing-words.

She heard the voice of her Beloved saying,
“You are walking a road where all who love Me walk. Some of them walked this way singing, and they’ve left their songs behind them. Find their songs. Sing their words. They will be your song to Me.”


But the daughter became full of grief, because there came a day when she could find to words to sing – neither her own, nor those of others. And yet she wanted with all her heart and soul and mind to ascend to higher places, to stand in the presence of her Beloved…

And He who is love eternal whispered,
“Then I, too, will approach you, silent in my love.”


And the daughter entered into this silence, to meet the eternal Beloved there…

And after a while there was a sound in the gentle stillness, a voice that whispered,
“Even your silence is, to Me, a song of lovely things…”


Prayer

My Father, there are reasons why I could feel downcast. When I think about some parts of my life it’s hard to pray – even harder to worship in freedom…
…relationships that are difficult…
…dreams and goals that are crumbling…
…old hurts that wound me over and over…

Some parts of me feel cold and wordless…

Is the problem that I’ve buried some things deep inside? Are you patiently calling – through days and months – for me to open up to you at some deeper level?

Today, Father, I trust you to go deeper.


Selah.

Note: More thoughts from the private conversation of Amy Carmichael, as she talked to her Father about the issues of life and personal challenges around her. God used her to rescue many young girls from ritual Hindu temple prostitution, and wrought miracles through her prayer life. Here is glimpse into that prayer life. May it bless you today!

No comments: