Thursday, March 06, 2008

Lenten prayers for Thursday, March 6

Psalm 141:1-3, 8

O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly;
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
and guard the door of my lips;
let not my heart incline to any evil thing.
But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God;
in you I take refuge; do not strip me of my life.
Selah.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;
answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
and has crushed me to the ground;
making me live in dark places
like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;
my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
I muse upon all your deeds;
I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;
my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;
do not hide your face from me
or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
for I put my trust in you;
show me the road that I must walk,
for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,
for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;
let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;
for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.
Selah.

A Song of Repentance: 1 John 1:5-9


This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Selah.

Psalm 148


Praise the Lord from the heavens;
praise him in the heights.
Praise him, all you angels of his;
praise him, all his host.
Praise him, sun and moon;
praise him, all you shining stars.
Praise him, heaven of heavens,
and you waters above the heavens.
Let them praise the name of the Lord;
for he commanded and they were created.
He made them stand fast for ever and ever;
he gave them a law which shall not pass away.
Praise the Lord from the earth,
you sea-monsters and all deeps;
Fire and hail, snow and fog,
tempestuous wind, doing his will;
Mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars;
Wild beasts and all cattle,
creeping things and winged birds;
Kings of the earth and all peoples,
princes and all rulers of the world;
Young men and maidens,
old and young together.
Let them praise the name of the Lord,
for his name only is exalted,
his splendor is over earth and heaven.
He has raised up strength for his people
and praise for all his loyal servants,
the children of Israel, a people who are near him!

Selah.

No comments: