Thursday, March 22, 2007

This evening the clouds lay low on the mountains

The Lord reigns forever…
and the righteous stand firm forever…
and the fruit of righteousness will be peace; and the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.

Psalm 9:7; Proverbs 10:25; Isaiah 32:17


Clouds

Amy Carmichael

This evening the clouds lay low on the mountains, so that sometimes we could hardly see the familiar peaks. Sometimes the stars, too, were nearly all covered. But always, just when it seemed as though the mountains were going to be quite lost in the mist, the higher peaks pushed out, and whereas the dimmer stars were veiled, the brighter ones shone through.

Even supposing the clouds had wholly covered the face of the mountains, and not a star shone through the piled up masses, the mountains would still have stood steadfast and the stars would not have ceased to shine. I thought of this, and found it very comforting, simple as it is.

Our feelings do not affect God’s facts. They may blow up, like clouds, and cover the eternal things that we do most truly believe. We may not see the shining of the promises – but still they shine! And the strength of the hills that is His also, is not for one most less because of our human weakness.

Heaven is no dream. Feelings go and come, like clouds. But the “hills and stars” abide!

Prayer

My Father, I will anchor my self, my thoughts and my will, in these facts:

You are.

You rule in heaven and on the earth.

You call me “righteous” because I am in Jesus, your Son.

No matter what it may seem, I will stand firm forever.


Selah.

Amy Carmichael, Edges of His Ways: March 27 journal.

No comments: